If you have an upcoming move that you’re planning on asking people to help with, keep reading. This could be the difference between a move that takes 3 hours or 3 days.
How To Ask Friends and Family to Help You Move:
- Ask friends or family in person or by phone call, not text
- Make your initial ask at least 2-4 weeks before your move
- Make it a goal to ask at least 12+ people
- Follow up the week before your move with individual texts to each person and let them know how many people will be helping and the day, time, and address for where to meet
- Follow up the day before with a group text (only use the group text the day before)
- The moving start times are Saturday between 7AM and 9AM
- Have plenty of hot coffee and bottled water available for everyone Breakfast and/or lunch is always a nice gesture
- If you’re using a moving truck, you should have it ready to go at least 2 hours before your scheduled meet time
- Always get a larger truck than you think you’ll need
- Put one person, preferably good at Tetris, in charge of packing the truck
- At the conclusion of the move take a picture with everyone in front of your new house (or the moving truck) and post it on Facebook, tagging everyone who helped as a way to publicly thank them and celebrate their teamwork
The WORST things you can do when moving are:
- Not having boxes packed before the move starts
- Having a moving truck that’s too small
- Not getting a dolly, cart, or furniture blankets
- Waiting to ask people for help 1-2 days before your move
- Not texting everyone the address for where to show up
- Not putting someone in charge of arranging your items in the moving truck
- Trying to do a move with less than 4 people
1. If you don’t have more than 3+ people lined up to help you move, you should consider hiring a moving company like Two Men and a Truck. I have used them for several moves when I was in a pinch and it was a stress free experience and relatively inexpensive (for in-town moves).
2. Have a separate box that says DO NOT PACK that includes cleaning supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, etc. that you’ll need to use at your place. And, make sure your vacuum cleaner doesn’t get packed in the truck.
3. Make sure you have toilet paper in your new place on moving day. It happens.