Chances are you’ve been there many times before in your life – a little place called FEAR JUNCTION. When you arrive at fear junction you have to make a decision: the OLD WAY or the NEW WAY.
Here’s what it looks like:
Three Real World Examples:
1. When I was running my publishing company, we were sending physical data CD’s and DVD’s in the mail to our customers. We were afraid to switch everything to digital downloads. But, we kept coming back to the same decision over and over. And, then one day we realized we were stuck at fear junction. We made the decision to pull the tooth, take the NEW WAY and become a 100% digital company. We saved a fortune, our customers were happier, and we beat the competition. It was one of the best business decisions I’ve ever made.
2. I knew I needed to get a financial advisor, but I kept putting it off for many years. What if they scam me? What if they steal my money? What if I can do a better job? What if I wait until I’m better organized next year? After realizing I was stuck at fear junction with this decision, I decided to take the NEW WAY and hire Bruce Wall, an Edward Jones financial advisor who led the Dave Ramsey class at my church. That decision dramatically changed my life for the better and was one of the best financial decisions I’ve ever made in my life.
3. Every time I would fly I would always see people breezing through security in the TSA PreCheck line while I waited in the long line. All my friends had TSA PreCheck and I would see them beat me through security by 30+ minutes every time. For years I thought that it would be a hassle to try to get or take too much time. One day, I took the NEW WAY and applied online, went to an office for 5 minutes, and viola! I had TSA PreCheck. It’s saved me countless hours at airports.
What decisions do you find yourself having to repeat over and over?
- Should I go to the dentist to fix this toothache?
- Maybe I should get my oil changed this week?
- Is it time to find a new job?
- Should we move to a more affordable house?
- Do I need to end this toxic relationship?
- Should I make new friends at church?
- Maybe I should quit smoking?
- Should I try to get debt free this year?
If you choose the OLD WAY, you will find that it loops back around and you’ll eventually wind up in the exact same place, and have to make the same decision again…over and over again. An infinite loop.
If you choose the NEW WAY, you’ll be heading into new territory and you’ll free yourself from the infinite loop of taking the OLD WAY.
NEW WAY – NEW WAY – NEW WAY!!!
The next time you end up at fear junction, take the NEW WAY.
Thanks to a famous plumber from Michigan named Tom Swick for sharing the wisdom of fear junction with me.